3 lb. beef chuck, cut into 2″ pieces
Freshly ground black pepper2 tbsp.
extra-virgin olive oil2 tbsp.
butter1 2/3 c.
dry red wine3 tbsp.
Yukon Gold potatoes, cut into 1″ cubes3
carrots, chopped into 1″ pieces3
celery stalks, chopped into 1″ pieces2
onions, chopped into quarters1 c.
chopped sun-dried tomatoes4
cloves garlic, minced1
large rosemary sprig2 c.
low-sodium beef broth1
(28-oz.) can crushed tomatoes
Freshly chopped parsley, for garnish
- In a large mixing bowl, pat beef dry with a paper towel. Season generously with salt and pepper.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat oil. Sear meat on all sides until golden brown with a crust, working in batches if necessary, about 10 minutes. Transfer meat to slow cooker.
- Add butter and scrape pan with a wooden spoon to loosen all browned meat bits. Stir in red wine and tomato paste; simmer for 1 minute, then transfer to slow cooker.
- Add potatoes, carrots, celery, onions, sun-dried tomatoes, garlic, rosemary, beef broth, and crushed tomatoes to slow cooker. Season with salt and cook on high until meat is tender, 4 to 5 hours.
- Remove stalk of rosemary. Garnish with parsley before serving.