This year has been hard on all of us. Whether that means financially, emotionally, or with our weight loss goals. For the first part of 2020, I was on #Keto religiously. I was eating all the right foods, all the right recipes, and making sure my carb intake was in the range my doctor set. Then, as it often does, I hit a plateau and lost some of my motivation. I lost 20 pounds in a few months. I was happy with that. I had a regular exercise routine too.
Then, I moved to Wisconsin, spent a lot of time eating at Culver’s and other fast food restaurants, and ruined my entire year of progress. I’m not going to beat myself up about it because it will only make me feel like crap. I moved back to New Mexico and I had a serious sit down chat with my doctor.
The plan is to get back on track. I added the Carb manager app. Before, I was using MyFitnessPal but I really didn’t like it much. This one is mostly set for carb management, which is what the keto diet is all about. So, I’m going back to the beginning and I’m starting again.
No more excuses.
I fried up eggs, added some peppers (green, red, yellow) and added a slice of cheese. Butter lettuce on the side.
8g net carbs
13g total carbs
I’m starting today and I’m hoping to keep on track. If you’d like to join me in my journey and to help me through my setbacks, let me know. We can be accountability buddies. You can never have too many.
Recipes shared by Dr. Gomez (Mountain View Medical Group Las Cruces, NM)
SIMPLE CHIA SEED PUDDING-VANILLA
Carbs: 8 grams per serving
• ½ cup heavy cream
• 1 cup full fat coconut milk or
unsweetened almond milk(see note)
• 1/8 teaspoon salt
• 4 packets stevia or equivalent low
carb sweetener to taste
• 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
• 1/3 cup chia seeds (see note)
- Mix all ingredients in a medium bowl until well blended
- Let sit for a few minutes then stir again
- Cover and place in refrigerator until thick like pudding
LOW CARB PEANUT BUTTER COOKIES
Carbs: 6 grams per serving
• 1 cup peanut butter
• ¼ cup powered erythritol
• 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Combine peanut butter, erythritol and egg mixture very well
- Roll the cookie dough into 1-inch balls and place on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Press down with a fork to creak the iconic peanut butter cookie pattern.
- Bake in oven for about 10-15 minutes or until you see the cookie edges turn a dark brown.
- Let them cool and enjoy with a yummy glass of nut milk!
CROCKPOT CRUSTLESS PIZZA
Carbs: Approx. 4 grams per serving (may vary based on choice of toppings added)
• 2lbs ground beef, browned
• 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
• 1 ½ cups pizza sauce or marinara sauce(for store bought, look for brands with 7 grams or less carbs per serving)
• 5-6 slices provolone cheese, or additional mozzarella cheese
• Pizza toppings of your choice (pepperoni, mushrooms, peppers, olives, etc.)
- Spray a 5qt or larger crockpot with non-stick cooking spray
- Add in the browned ground beef and 2 cups of mozzarella cheese. Stir to combine and then spread in an even layer across the bottom.
- Top with the pizza sauce in an even layer
QUICK LOW CARB BREAD
Carbs: Approx. 3 grams per serving
• ½ cup butter, melted
• 3tbsp. coconut oil, liquefied
• 8 large eggs, or 6 eggs plus 1tsp
• 2/3 cup almond flour
• 1/3 cup coconut flour
• ½ tsp xanthan gum, optional
• ½ tsp salt
- Break eggs into food processor & blend until yolks & whites are combined.
- Add remaining ingredients & process until a dough is formed.
- Spread dough into a greased 9×5 inch loaf pan (use 8×4 pan for taller loaf or muffin top pan for rounds).
- Bake at 350° for about 40 mins or until top is browned
CREAMY KETO “POTATO” SALAD
Carbs: 9 grams per serving
• 1 large cauliflower
• ¼ cup sour cream
• ½ cup mayonnaise
• 2 tablespoons white vinegar
• 1 tablespoon mustard
• 1 teaspoon celery seeds
• ¼ teaspoon salt
• 4 large hard-boiled eggs (reserve 2 yolks and dice the rest)
• ½ cup diced celery
• 1 teaspoon fresh dill
• 2 stalks green onions, thinly sliced
- Prepare the cauliflower by cutting the head into bite-sized florets and steaming in a silicone steamer for 3-4 minutes or in a stovetop steamer until the cauliflower is only slightly tender. Set aside to cool.
- Make the dressing by whisking together sour cream, mayo, vinegar, mustard, celery seed, and salt.
- Mash the two reserved yolks into the cream mixture and whisk until very smooth.
- Add the cooled cauliflower, boiled eggs, celery, onion, and dill. Stir to coat.
- Refrigerate for about 1 hour to allow the cauliflower to completely cool and the flavors to meld together. Garnish with green onion and serve cold.
GREEN CHILE CHICKEN ENCHILADA CAULIFLOWER CASSEROLE
Carbs: 7 grams per serving
• 20 oz frozen cauliflower florets, or fresh (about 4 cups)
• 4 oz cream cheese, softened
• 2 cups cooked chicken, shredded
• ½ cup salsa verde
• ½ tsp kosher salt
• 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
• 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
• ¼ cup sour cream
• 1 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
- Put your cauliflower in a microwave safe dish and cook for 10-12 minutes or until fork tender. Add the cream cheese and microwave for another 30 seconds. Stir
- Add the chicken, salsa verde, salt, pepper, cheddar cheese, sour cream, and cilantro. Stir.
- Bake in a preheated 375° oven in an ovenproof casserole dish for 20 mins (or you can microwave on high for 10 mins)
- Serve hot.
SAUSAGE STUFFED MUSHROOMS
Carbs: 8 grams per serving
• 1lb cremini mushrooms (about 20)
• 1lb mild Italian sausage
• 4 large cloves garlic, minced
• 8oz cream cheese, softened
• ½ cup parmesan cheese, grated
• A few sprigs Italian flat leaf parsley, chopped
• Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- De-stem mushrooms and finely chop the stems
- To a large skilled, over medium-high heat, add chopped mushroom stems, Italian sausage, and garlic. Cook until sausage is browned and cooked through. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Preheat oven to 350°
- In a large mixing bowl, combine cream cheese, ¼ cup parmesan cheese and parsley. Mix until well incorporated.
- Once the sausage has cooled, add it to the cream cheese mixture. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Spoon heaping mounds of the stuffing mixture into each mushroom cap. Place on baking sheet and bake on middle rack of oven for 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle remaining ¼ cup parmesan cheese over the mushrooms. Broil on high 3-5 minutes or until parmesan is golden brown.
- Let stand 5-10 minutes before serving
LOW-CARB CAULIFLOWER “MAC” AND CHEESE
Carbs: 10 grams per serving
- 1 large head cauliflower, cut into small florets
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ¼ cup onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ¾ cup milk (plus more if needed)
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup mozzarella or Italian cheese blend, shredded
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese
- 4oz cream cheese (sour cream can also be used)
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Cut cauliflower into small florets and place in a large microwave-safe bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and steam for 8-10 minutes or until cauliflower is tender. You can also boil the cauliflower in water on the stove for about 5 minutes.
- While the cauliflower is steaming, heat a large pan or pot to medium high heat. Add the olive oil, butter, and onions. Cook onions for 3-5 minutes or until they begin to brown. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Add the milk and cheeses. Stir the mixture until the cheese is fully melted and the texture is smooth.
- Pour in the steamed cauliflower and mix until fully combined. Boil for 3-5 minutes or until the cauliflower is soft and tender or to your preference.